Monday, May 28, 2007

Church games.


Sometimes I stand amazed at the fact that there are still people who go to church.

I think that if they only knew of all the politics , backstabbing, bitching and general un Christ likeness that goes on in the leadership of a church , they would run like mad.

I look at my wife, who after many years of study and training, is a small step away from being ordained as a full minister in our denomination. I see how eager she is to serve our Lord. How passionate to help and counsel broken people. I see and hear how her congregation grows. How people who swore never to set feet in a church again, come back. This is what she is called to do.

And then I see the society stewards. The people who are supposed to support her. And help her. And lead the church. And look after the church's interests. And serve Christ through their stewardship of his church. I see them biting, and bitching, and fighting for power. I see them undermine her. I see them play their games. And it hurts.

I look at the circuit superintendent. And the district Bishop. People and leaders who are supposed to lead her, and the church. To show the way. People who are supposed to show us Christ's vision for our church. And I see how they do their utmost to discredit her. I hear how they slander her name behind her back.

I look at my wife , and I see her take the strain. I hear how she starts to wonder about joining a different denomination. I hear how she questions her understanding of God's will. (not her calling though).

And I think: God, is this your people ? Is this how it is supposed to be ? Lord ?

What is my congregation doing to serve you, Lord ? Do they even know you exist ? Are they serving you?..... or themselves ?

Jesus, how can you stand this? Does it not kill you when you look at this church ?

I look at my church, and I look at the damage it is doing to my wife, and I want to weep.

No comments: