Thursday, June 14, 2007

The reaping

On Tuesday my wife and I went to see 'The reaping'. Now this is not the type of movie that I would normally see but, because we realize that other Christians and non-Christians would see this movie and then probably start asking questions, we go see it in order to be able to at least comment from a first hand experience.

So what did I think of the movie ?

My first reaction was : What a completely senseless waste of my time !
Let me explain. Normally when I see a movie I try to figure out what the writer/director wants to tell me. The closest I could get an answer for this question was that he wanted to show me the cool special effects he can do. And even that wasn't all that fantastic. I mean , it might have been a bit of a feat to color a whole river red. The maggots and flies happened on a fairly small scale. Apart from the one raging bull (did he have mad cow disease) all the other animals died from the plague very quietly. Oh yes the first dead frog to hit the water at least made you jump of fright. Also only because the soundtrack had a gunshot in it.

Now where were we ? The head lice weren't done to badly. O yes, the boils seemed to affect only the mayor and his assistants. The only effects that are really worth mentioning is the Locust Swarm and the Fire from the sky.

So what did the director try to tell me ? Did he try to disprove the 10 plagues in Moses' time ? Did he try to show my God as a wrathful and violent God ?

Actually I am not at all sure what he tried to do.

Hopefully next week I will get to see 'Amazing Grace'. At least that looks promising.

1 comment:

bugs said...

i don't know, for me the movie asked some helpful questions, you know , the once that most people have but are afraid to ask out load...

i believe it will supply us with a point of departure to embark on some much needed discussions on ancient questions. for a overview of these questions, see my blog