Saturday, August 4, 2007

At least one has spoken up

Protest March to Deliver Zimbabwe Human Rights Petition to President Mbeki

SA church shelters Zimbabweans

For the past few days I have heard a familiar name pop up in the local media. Bishop Paul Verryn has been making waves with his sheltering of Zimbabwean refugees.

Now I am personally not a great fan of Bishop Verryn, although I have not had the honor of meeting him personally and my opinion is based on hearsay.

But what gladdens my heart about this man is the fact that he is willing to speak up against the silence of the SA government when it comes to. Mugabe and Zimbabwe.

Now I do not want to discuss bishop Verryn. Or what he is doing.

What I do want to discuss is the silence of our Methodist Presiding Bishop and the other high profile Methodist leaders. As chair of the church leaders forum and as far as I know chair of the SACC (SA Council of Churches) Bishop Ivan Abrahams is in a very good position to speak up against the atrocities in Zimbabwe.

Why is our Methodist leadership so quiet? And if we query them about it we are told that the media is not interested in what the church says. I Think Paul Verryn proved that to be wrong.

Maybe the Presiding Bishops office are not screaming loud enough.
Maybe they are scared of rocking the boat.

Thank you Bishop Verryn for going over the Presiding Bishop's head and making your voice heard. May God bless you in the work that you do.

No comments: